Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Ride Your Bike to Work: Save the Planet and Your Health | Green Keen Magazine


Excerpt from: 
How to Ride Your Bike to Work
by Shane Johnson of Green Options

"If I told you that I was going to give you a magic device that would save you money, save the planet, and, oh yeah, firm up that flab you have been carrying around with you for the last couple of years (all for three easy payments of $19.95!), what would you say? Most people would be pretty stoked, but when I tell people that this magic device is a bicycle, the thrill dies down a little.

I have been in love with bike riding for years now, from the flat open roads of Ohio, to the bustling SUV traffic of Austin, the winding roads of Cape Cod, and now the horn-honking traffic of Boston. When I tell people that I ride my bike to work they say "that’s great" as they look at me like I might be a couple cards short of a deck...

But It’s Too Far to Ride
At each point in my life, the concept of "too far" has changed. When I first started riding, too far was 5 miles: the idea of riding my bike that long was just too hard to comprehend....The bicycle is one of the most efficient ways of using human power for travel. Using the gear and chain system of a bike, you can transfer relatively little effort into a lot of motion....The more you ride, the better you feel, so the more you want to ride..." Want to read more?


Green Options states on their About Page:
"Whether you want to go green to fight climate change, save some dollars at the pump, or give your kids (and yourself) a healthier home, Green Options has it all..."

Green Options has eco friendly products, technologies and forums in which to share and learn. Check them out...

Thanks to FreeFoto for the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment